NEW STUDY BY MAGNA, IPG MEDIA LAB AND VEVO REVEALS THE FACTORS THAT DRIVE VIEWER CHOICE FOR DEVICE AND VIDEO SELECTION
“The Anatomy of a Video Experience” Provides Insights for Advertisers on How Best to Deliver Brand Messages to Receptive Audiences across Devices
NEW YORK – March 11, 2020 – It’s no secret that the video device landscape is fragmented. In fact, the average U.S. home owns over 10 connected devices. Understanding the nuances is key for advertisers looking to reach receptive audiences and better inform their future planning efforts. “The Anatomy of a Video Experience,” a study conducted by MAGNA, IPG Media Lab and Vevo, explores the many ways consumers view video across devices, and what motivates their viewing habits.
The natural nuances of video experiences were tracked across various devices such as Over-the-Top (OTT), Linear TV (LTV), PC and Mobile, in order to uncover the 5 W’s of Video Consumption: Why, What, When, Where and Who.
The study found that viewers have no true “go-to” device to watch video and in fact, device selections are made in the moment based on situational factors. For example, viewers select OTT for video/audio quality, select LTV for exclusive content, and select mobile and PC for accessibility.
Additional key findings of the study include:
- Consumers are in vastly different mindsets on each video device. For example, people have relaxation in mind when watching on bigger screens, and utility on PC.
- Audio attention reigns supreme, even in a video environment, with the highest full attention to audio at 56% on PC, as opposed to highest full attention to visual, 44% on OTT. Video ads should rely on more than just visuals to get its message across.
- Video co-viewing offers a sweet spot for advertisers, offering purpose-driven viewing, longer session lengths, and higher receptivity. In fact, OTT was the best device for co-viewers (49%), and they are especially attentive on it (43%).
- The music genre is strongly tied to positive moods and high cultural relevance, allowing advertisers to reach music video viewers in moments where their brand message will resonate most. This is especially true for music video consumption on OTT, where ad receptivity is particularly high (co-viewing ~68%; solo viewing ~ 58%).
- LTV users are more likely browsing on other digital devices if they’re multi-tasking than users of other devices, providing an advertiser opportunity for simultaneous cross-screen exposure.
- There is more passive video search discovery happening on OTT (24%) than other digital devices like PC (18%) and mobile (16%).
“Vevo is thrilled to be partnering with MAGNA to release the results of such a valuable study” says Kevin McGurn, President of Sales and Distribution, Vevo. “The fragmentation of content viewership is accelerating but music videos continue to aggregate huge audiences where advertisers’ messages reach and resonate with their consumers. The MAGNA findings help us to understand co-viewing behaviors, what makes viewers more receptive to advertising, how they engage with what screen and for what purpose. These valuable insights enable us to recommend smart, actionable media solutions to our advertisers across all audiences.”
“The industry tends to focus on mobile and OTT, but the truth is that people are using several devices and we need to understand the nuances of why/when,” said Kara Manatt, SVP, Group Director, Intelligence Solutions, MAGNA Global. “People are focused when listening to rock music, excited when watching action movies…their mood states vary wildly throughout the course of a day and so does their openness to receiving an ad. Brands that understand the mood behind the action are dramatically more likely to grab the attention of listeners and viewers.”
MAGNA is the centralized IPG Mediabrands resource that develops intelligence, investment and innovation strategies for agency teams and clients. We utilize our insights, forecasts and strategic relationships to provide clients with a competitive marketplace advantage.
MAGNA harnesses the aggregate power of all IPG media investments to create leverage in the market, negotiate preferred pricing and secure premium inventory to drive maximum value for our clients. The MAGNA Investment and Innovation teams architect go-to-market investment strategies across all channels including linear television, print, digital and programmatic on behalf of IPG clients. The team focuses on the use of emerging media opportunities, as well as data and technology-enabled solutions to drive optimal client performance and business results.
MAGNA Intelligence has set the industry standard for more than 60 years by predicting the future of media value. The MAGNA Intelligence team produces more than 40 annual reports on audience trends, media spend and market demand as well as ad effectiveness.
About IPG Media Lab
Part of the Interpublic network, the IPG Media Lab identifies and researches innovations and trends that will change the media landscape and how brands engage with their audiences. Since 2006, the Lab has worked with our clients and with industry partners who can help them best adapt to disruptive change. Its expertise, resources and consulting services also help to inform the learnings, strategies and business outcomes of all Interpublic agencies. For more information, please visit www.ipglab.com or follow @ipglab.
Vevo is the world’s largest all-premium music video provider, offering artists a global platform with enormous scale through its distribution partners. Vevo connects artists with their audience globally via music videos and original content, working directly with them to find unique ways to bring their music to life visually. Vevo also works with emerging artists, providing them with a platform of global scale and reach, to find and grow their audience. Reaching 26 billion monthly views globally, Vevo has over 450,000 music videos in its catalogue.
Director, Global Corporate Communications
Senior Manager, Communications